Tuesday, December 7, 2010

I miss bread.


I know it doesn't look like much, just a tupperware container of flour. But it was hard won. (Do you SEE the amount of flour on the toaster?!?)

This evening I started the process of making my first loaves of gluten free bread. I only got so far as the flour mix, which actually led to my first opportunity to use the food processor I bought on super-sale earlier this year. The food processor bit went well; it wasn't until I put the different flours in a bowl and tried that ever-so-complicated trick of stirring, you know, with a spoon that I got it all over the counter, the toaster and myself.

I'm pretty sure there's flour on Olivia as well.

Seeing as it is already after 9:00, I now have a kitchen to clean and I wanted to go to bed early I am going to put off the rest of the baking until tomorrow. But I am excited. Thrilled. Drooling already.

I miss bread you see. I recently decided that going gluten free (following the example of several women already in my family), might help me clear up some nagging gastrointestinal issues that my doctor's suggestion was to 'live with'. And so far it's been okay. Except bread.

I have always loved bread. Rolls. Big crusty french loaves. Pastries. Bagels. Any and all forms of bread. Stuffed full of warm meat and a thin swipe of spicy mustard. Or cold cuts and an all-too-generous layer of rich mayo. Or just a touch warm with a small bit of butter and dripping with sweet honey.

Sigh.

I miss it. And even though I know that gluten free bread won't be the 'same', I don't care. A substitute will still be lovely.

So tonight I pulled out all of the flours that my dear husband brought me from the specialty food store and the food processor and a large bowl and mixed together the flour mix. I hope tomorrow to be able to pop out two full-grown loaves of warm bread and make a sandwich. I'm not the best in the kitchen but... I certainly hope I can figure this out.

I'll let you know what happens.

5 comments:

Karen Gilbert said...

I'd call it a 'mixer mishap' like your dad does, except you were using a spoon! HaHa! Can't wait to hear how the next phase goes...

MK French said...

Oh man that's it - it was a mixer mishap! Only I was the mixer. :P

Melody said...

I hope you are more successful at staying gluten-free than I was. :P I also hope it helps!

BowenMurphyA said...

Do you read the blog "Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef?" I think you'd dig it...

MK French said...

Oh I LOVE her website. And I have her new cookbook - which I highly recommend. I love that it's written like an edible love story. I mean, really - who doesn't need one of those?