Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Bang Goes That Theory

From what I had seen of gluten-free baking up to today, it looked to me as if every recipe was going to be unimaginably complicated with long lists of expensive ingredients. In my mind, gluten-free baking seemed a mighty undertaking, only to be pursued when I felt completely ready to use every fancy kitchen gadget, and dirty every dish, I own.

So, of course, I started craving baked goods.

Cookies, cupcakes, cakes. Over the past week I have been unable to stop salivating at the thought of every last gluten-filled morsel. And the idea of trying to bake a homemade gluten-free version in my half-packed, torn up, mid-move house was just an immovable mountain.

Until today.

My mother (my gluten-free guru) forwarded me a cookie recipe from my cousin, Jessica. A recipe with three, simple, readily-available-in-my-ransacked-kitchen ingredients. A recipe that made warm, sugary cookies and filled my crazy house with a wonderful smell.


And on top of all that, peanut butter - my favorite.

I can see I'm going to have to continue to rethink and refocus myself around this gluten-free thing for a while. It's just going to take time to wrap my head around the fact that it doesn't mean I can never have anything tasty again (quite the contrary) and it doesn't mean that everything is harder (just no longer mindless).

In short - I need to quite my bellyaching about gluten this and gluten that and get on with life!

And make more cookies!

1 comment:

Karen Gilbert said...

Be careful or you're going to weigh 300 pounds!!