Thursday, December 2, 2010

O Captain! My Captain!

I spent my past two mornings teaching a professional training session with one of the partner's from my office. I was very nervous before-hand, spent a lot of time preparing and then really enjoyed the actual teaching - answering questions, providing practical tools and hearing that the attendees felt they had actually received something of genuine value from what we said.

It got me thinking. Thinking about all of those professors, teachers, trainers that I've had over the years that really left an impression. Mr. Curl in 7th grade (I'm pretty sure I still have his English Grammar packets!), Mrs. Cooke in high school, Dr. Velie in college (who's graduate school recommendation letter sits framed on my desk and I imagine always will). After these two days, I have a new appreciation for how difficult it really must be to make that impression on someone. Much less more than one someone.

I would love to be able to do that. I like to teach people, to help people take things they don't understand and conquer them and use them to their own advantage. Today wasn't really a situation where I could make some sort of significant impression - a training about how to prepare for an audit just isn't going to be that profound. But it made me realize that I would love to be in a position that would give me that opportunity to really make a positive impact on someone.

It also made me realize that I should probably drop all of those teachers a thank you note. This stuff they do - it's harder than they make it look!

No comments: