Monday, September 6, 2010

End of Summer

This weekend ended up a, somewhat unexpected, simple celebration of some of my favorite aspects of this summer-turning-to-fall time of year. We spent a clear, cool Friday night in the stands at a Red Hawks baseball game where I promptly stepped off the diet wagon in order to indulge in my love of ballpark hot dogs. Well, let's be honest. I didn't step off the wagon. I threw myself overboard headfirst into a river of nacho cheese. Three hot dogs, half a funnel cake and a mini-helmet full of ice cream later, I sat in the stands with my feet up, giggling like a schoolgirl, knowing without caring that I would regret every last gastronomical decision I had just made.

Tonight was a much quieter (healthier) splurge as we took Daly-pup to the trails. I love to take Daly just about anywhere because putting him in the car and rolling down the window is all it takes to make him deliriously happy. And really, seeing him makes a lot of people we don't even know happy. People will talk to him (one teenager once even barked at him) and he just drools happily all down the side of my car in mute response. I honestly think that driving down the highway with his head out and eyes squinted down to slits is how he'd love to spend every waking moment for the rest of his life if he could.


The trails, however, is an area that is actually not that far from our house, just on the northwest side of Lake Hefner. It's about a mile long paved loop (there's also windy single-track, mostly frequented by serious mountain bikers from what I can tell) and we go there frequently with Daly to enjoy the quiet green patch in the middle of the city. Tonight, Colin took Daly on his leash and I... I took my bike.


After years of wanting a new one (since my previous bike got stolen off my front porch in college, to be exact), I recently got myself a bike. It's not just any bike. It's a Schwinn Windwood Cruiser with a front basket, back luggage rack and old-school bell. I researched and found the exact bike I wanted, saved up and finally bought it just over a month ago. It's white, pink and black and I am, quite honestly, head over heels in love with it. I tell myself that it's a great form of cross-training but the truth is, riding this bike makes me feel ten years old again and completely carefree which is a feeling I treasure wherever I can find it.

The only downside so far has been that getting the bike anywhere is a bit of a hassle now without the Blazer (the only time I have missed that car) and by the time we got to the trails tonight my husband was grumbly and cranky and I was already sweating. But as soon as I got on and took off - I was back to the same giggly state from Friday's game (only without the powder sugar all over my shirt like some dieter's scarlet letter).

Fall is such a beautiful time of year, full of transition and depth and I love the colors and the brisk, cool air and the way the light feels different in the early evening. The light had that quality tonight, the warm golden look of a sunset that seems to be so particular to late fall. As the path curved ahead of me and the rays slanted through the trees, I was happy to be out on my bike in the stillness, circling back periodically to Colin and the pup and smiling a big goofy grin at just about everyone I passed.


I've never really been a true fan of summer. As someone who gets hot-and-bothered easily, the 100 degree heat in this part of the country makes me wilt typically before we even reach midday. But fall... there is something completely rejuvenating for me about the feel of fall.

I'm glad it's here again. I'm glad that we went to the game Friday night and I'm glad that the ballpark hot dogs at the Brick are always as fantastic as I hope they'll be. And I'm glad that on my bike I can recapture some internal stillness, some of that just quiet joy that reminds me that I am alive, that life is good and that simple things are worth working for. Too much of adult life gets lost in seriousness I think, and I am grateful that my bike reminds me what it is to feel the wind in my hair, my feet on the pedals and the rush of simply moving myself through the world on my own power.

Tomorrow I'll be back at work but tonight I'm trying to savor the last moments of the end-of-summer feeling this weekend gave me that reminds me so much of when I was a student. Part of why I love fall I think is because for so long it signaled the return to school and, as a self-professed nerd would, I always looked forward to returning to school. I won't get to buy books and notepads and shiny new pens this year, but I can tool around the neighborhood on my bike and remember that feeling as best I can anyway.

Which is exactly what I intend to do.

1 comment:

scrutch said...

Mandy, what a lovely description of fall. Hope we get some cooler weather down here in Texas so we can begin to enjoy the fall, too.