Thursday, September 16, 2010

Obsession

Sounds scandalous doesn't it? What could it be you wonder... The word obsession has these dark, twisted connotations of something secret, something inherently dangerous and sexy.

HA. Do you know me at all? I'm about as dangerous as a paper cut.

My obsession involves a styrofoam cup the size of my head and what comes in it. For a while I resisted. I had even been thisclose to cutting it out altogether. I kept telling myself, like any other addiction, it's expensive. In excess, it does bad things to your brain. And the second you give in to it... you have to have it again. And then you have to have it twice a day.

And then the car hops at Sonic know your name and your order and they're walking towards your car before you ever press the call button.

Colin always cracks on me because I have to drink my Route 44 Unsweet Iced Tea from Sonic exactly like this. Both hands on the cup (it's heavy!), head tilted to one side and straw in one side of my mouth. I don't know why. I hadn't even noticed it. But now that he's made fun of me I realize it every time - but I can't help it! I can't stop myself.

I love their iced tea. It's an easy cheesy way to make me pretty silly-happy. As I've given up my traditional comfort foods on my 'health quest', the comfort-in-a-cup that a Route 44 represents has become ever more important. It's a great way to get that same warm fuzzy feeling without downing 1,000 calories in a single sitting.

Sometimes I worry about all the caffeine. And the $2.05 a pop. And being known by name at a local fast food joint. But mostly, I just take that first sideways sip and sigh... Ahhh... so good. I'm completely obsessed and I've given myself over to it.

I like to think it could be worse. It could be a 44-ounce rum and coke you know.

1 comment:

scrutch said...

Uncanny! We are so alike but for me the addiction is diet vanilla coke from DQ. However, there are certainly worse addictions.