Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Social-lite

I've decided that, for a natural recluse like me, getting married is to a certain extent like a terminal illness for your social life. Wedding bells are, in a way, the death toll for all other relationships. Your other bonds start to decay almost instantly and then quickly slide downhill into all but nonexistence.

That's exaggerating of course, but it's late and I'm tired so give a girl a break. In a way, I feel like I've been hiding under a rock since Colin and I got married, with short excursions out for knitting classes and one semester of English courses at a local university (and one blissful week in the UK with my mom). Other than that, I've been (self-)limited to only rare outings with friends and lots of time with my oh-so-lovable hubby.

Not that the hubby has suddenly become any less lovable, but I'm working on getting myself out more. I'm finding ways to be out in the community on my own as an individual rather than as part of a pair and tonight was a perfect example. Tonight, I had my first class session at a local tech center for a class in, of all things, acrylic and watercolor painting.

Essentially it took only about, oh, an hour with a brush in my hand to realize that watercolors probably require a level of finesse that I don't actually possess. But I chatted up the women at my table, discussed paint preferences with the teacher and did my best to make my 'study in values' really look like a house with a mountain in the background. I'm still thinking that maybe acrylics should be my focus but with a little Hipstamatic app magic I think it actually looks pretty nifty:


Regardless of my actual success with the painting - I really enjoyed being in an incredibly hodge-podge group of people attempting to learn something just for the heck of it. And because I also enjoy photograpy, it doesn't bother me at all to use a little digital manipulation to improve the results of my manual efforts.

Not bad for a first session. Pretty darn successful if I do say so myself.

No comments: