Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Lazy Food Lover

I read Molly Wizenberg's 'A Homemade Life' this weekend and it reaffirmed one thing I already knew about myself (and have long proudly advertised) and called into startling relief something else I have ignored to the point that I was surprised to truly realize it.

I love to eat. And I hate to cook.

Pretty much anyone who's ever met me knows that I love to eat. I'm not shy about it. My motto (claimed from a much-loved movie) is 'I'm an eater.' I know all the tiny hole-in-the-wall restaurants within a ten mile radius from my house, office and major clients and I constantly seek out recommendations when I'm in an unfamiliar area. I'm also not a very dainty eater - I attack my meals with gusto and relish every last bite.

But I do not enjoy cooking.

I want to. I like to look at recipes and I say things to myself like 'oooo buckwheat pancakes - I love those! I should try that!' But the truth is, I don't really want to try that. I would much rather have someone else try that and I would happily oooh and aaaah appreciatively while I devoured everything on my plate.

This is something I need to work on. The best things in life are worth working for and food is no different. I know there are all sorts of wonderful recipes out there I would love - I just need to quit being a lazy bum and get down to the business of trying them all out.

I think I'll start this weekend. Some buckwheat pancakes out of Molly's book would be the perfect way to kick off a September Saturday morning. I'll finish my run, roll up my sleeves and make myself something tasty.

Maybe I just need to cook, taste, repeat until I teach myself that yummy things only truly come to those who cook. A little positive reinforcement experiment. It just might work if I keep at it. And I'll get to eat all sorts of lovely things along the way.

3 comments:

scrutch said...

Ah, Mandy, you are truly a girl after your grandmother's heart. I also love to eat and hate to cook. I collect recipes, file them in an organized way, and then never try them. Let's face it, there are cooks and there are eaters. We belong to the latter. Good luck with your pancakes.

Unknown said...

Two things 1) I feel EXACTLY the same way and feel really, really lucky that Jon both likes to cook and is really good at it. 2) I LOVED that book, I got to see her at a signing here in DC (her brother owns some fancy restaurants in town) and felt like I was meeting a friend. I guess that's what good bloggers are, in a way. Glad you enjoyed it. The cabbage salad quickly emerged as me and Jon's go-to summer item.

MK French said...

It feels so good to have people who not only accept my laziness, but understand it!

Ashley - I'm thrilled to say I'll get to eat at her and her husband's restaurant in Seattle in October. I am soooo excited. Mmmm pizza...