Friday, September 3, 2010

Challenge: Accepted

Come ludicrously early on November 21, I will be milling about the starting line of the Route 66 Marathon with hundreds (thousands?) of super-fit long distance runners. I'll be there as the first leg of a relay team - the long leg. Testing myself for the first time in front of others at a distance longer than a 5k. Part of me is already anxious and excited.

Part of me is saying 'What the hell are you thinking?!?'

I participated in this same relay last year and ran the shortest (straightest, flatest) leg. Between then and now I have done two other formal events - one 5k and my longest race ever to date - a 10k. I didn't prepare well for either. I have had a hard time sticking to my initial commitment all the way through race day and invariably I have dropped off and struggled through the distance unnecessarily.

I am determined not to do that this time.

This week I started training - using the C25k program I've heard so much about ('there's an app for that!'). Before I've just kind of made up my training as I went along and let's face it - I'm not very good without structure. After the C25k program there's a B210k (Bridge to 10k) program that I've already downloaded - it should get me (pretty close to) ready for the distance I've accepted, 7.6 miles.

Already this week it has helped me to feel alive in that way which I think only consistent exercise can. I'm sure some of it is purely psychological but I feel the muscles in my torso and legs differently than before - they feel tighter, more responsive even just when I'm standing or walking. My posture is always better when I'm true to my running and now is no different - I'm holding my head a little higher, feeling the confidence which power over my body brings.

My body has changed drastically this year (why is a story for another post). Originally I had set a modest goal for my weight-loss efforts but I've since more than doubled it to a new, much more powerful goal. I have learned that I don't have to be restricted by how I see myself - as someone who isn't very athletic, doesn't like health food, will never be 'skinny'. That is an image I have created and it doesn't have to be reality.

This race is my next attempt to slash one of those ideas - that I'm not very athletic. I never have been, really - even as a dancer, I had the heart but not the grace, the ability. Part of why I've embraced running I think is because anyone can run - it's not a matter of ability. It's a matter of persistence. Perseverance. Sometimes just all out stubborness (and Lord knows I have plenty of that).

I have two main goals on this particular race day. A recurring one that I have NEVER accomplished - to run the entire distance without walking. But more than that, something completely personal - to stand at that starting line, with all of those super-fit long distance runners, without fear. To know without doubt that I can complete the task ahead. To look forward to that moment when I come to the exchange point and hand the chip to my husband (who's taking on 5.9 miles himself) and know that I will get there and feel completely fantastic.

Those are my goals. And I have 79 days to get there. What can you accomplish in the next 79 days that you would initially say you couldn't? Is there something you want but don't think you can have? I encourage you to make it your goal. Push yourself to do something that makes you wonder 'What the hell am I thinking?'

We'll get there together.

6 comments:

Karen Gilbert said...

This post reminds me that we can each do anything we want to do, if we really put our minds and energies to the task. It's easy to blame outside influences, but at the end of the day, its always about willpower and perserverance.

MK French said...

I completely agree. Most times when I have failed to accomplish a goal I've set for myself, I realize (if I'm honest about it) that I failed because I stood in my own way.

scrutch said...

Mandy, once again you have amazed me. I cannot begin to tell you how impressed I am with your determination. I need to follow your example in meeting my goals. Not running a race, however. That's a big much for a 70 year old. Granted I am in pretty fair shape, but not for running a race. Good luck with your training.

MK French said...

Don't be impressed yet Grandma! Wait until I've actually finished!

I think you are in better than fair shape! I have always found it telling that none of my friends are ever surprised to learn how young my parents or grandparents are after they've met ya'll or seen pictures. I hope I am as healthy and sassy at 70 as you are!

Unknown said...

Dude, you can do it... 7.6 miles on Nov. 21 is for sure within your grasp. In one year I went from gasping through a 4-miler to running a half-marathon. I don't have tips or anything, just that cheesey "if you think you can, you can."

MK French said...

Aw thanks Ashley. I'm pretty stoked about it but I'm worried - and I know that mentality is self-perpetuating. Hopefully I can get myself to have a little faith... in myself.